Saturday, July 10, 2010

The wrong side of town and other ramblings

Last Saturday we decided we needed to get in on the Wal-Mart soda deals. Naturally, we googled the closest store and headed out in the Camry. The store was located on Crenshaw and MLK blvd. Hmmm... Lesson learned. Don't go anywhere you've heard mentioned in a rap song. I was so nervous the whole time. We went in the store and it felt like everyone was staring at us. Probably because we were the only caucasians around. Needless to say we left empty handed. The lines were too long. Duh, on our part. Saturday's are bad news at any Wal-mart in my opinion. I am not racist. I just don't like attention and we definitely had everyone's attention. Have mercy. I couldn't wait to get out of there. The only time I glanced up from the pavement I noticed an older woman passing us with a t-shirt that said "Black Mama" on it. Nate said that most of his mission resembled the area. No wonder he seemed so calm. Next time we'll probably visit a different Wal-mart.
Today we were at the food court of a local mall and Nate chatted it up with a hobo that sat down at the table next to us. He told Nate if he gave him $5 dollars he would go away. Nate's response was "I don't want you to go away." The guy was stunned because I think that was his "go to" line. He settled for some change we had in our pockets. Another funny story about this man. Before he sat down next to us he booted out this cute Mother-Daughter combo out of their seats. He said it was his chair. Now that we look back we wish we would have offered our seats to them. John Quinones didn't pop out from hiding so I guess we are off the hook this time.

3 comments:

  1. Wow that is funny, I bet you were glad Nate was with you. That would be hard for me I dont like to feel out of place like that. I love what he said to the hobo, bet he didnt see that coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the benefit of having a husband that has worked with delinquents. It's too bad you weren't at Mall of America because those giant nordic mall cops would have taken care of that riffraff lickety split.

    ReplyDelete